Over and over again, newbies love to know which mistakes are common in starting an ecommerce business. I love to talk about this and sometimes find that I made particular mistakes as a beginner. Everyone wish to avoid the mistakes that we encounter all the time. Rather learning it the hard way, we ask veterans to share their experiences and thoughts about the mistakes occur in the business setting.
So I put together a list people shared with me what to watch out for in a start-up business.
- Waiting too long to launch a product or service. I admit I make this mistake. This links to a particular goal like getting 500-1,000 subscribers. Other goals that gets in the way of taking time to create a product or service. You need to put a product or service that will convert to sales not wasting time.
- Solving a problem nobody cares about. Little problems that does not bring a lot of sense.
- Not listening to your customers. Listen to the positive and negative remarks from customers. Find out why they make comments and try to do something about it. Choose to go beyond the what the customer really mean.
- Be unique. Learn how to make your business stand out admist the competition. Give them a reason to choose your business than the others. Get your customers to understand your business easily. Start with the right expectations. Never expect your business to be famous or in demand by over night. There is no such thing. Rewrite your business plan when you need to. Make it flexible and reflective of your goals.
- Spending too much time thinking. There is a saying that says “Actions are better than words”. Most of the time, effort gives you a lot of results than thinking. Make sure you plan your goals effectively and reach them.
- Going it alone. It is tough running a business alone. Having other people help you in your business will make the job easier. Delegation is the key to run a successful ecommerce business.
- Not starting at all. It’s easy to talk about starting a business for years and never do anything about it. If you don’t start, you will end up in frustration. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. You are not alone in your journey.